Human Givens Counsellors:
- Learn of the essential role of dreaming to maintain emotional health.
- Understand that habits create patterns which if inappropriate, influence our emotions such that these can overwhelm desirable thinking and actions.
- Strive to make effective use of a range of tools and methods to help clients shift unhelpful patterns and empower them to use their own resources to meet their essential needs.
There are many places in this website where you see how Human Givens knowledge and teaching have been incorporated into my Feelbetter Human Givens counselling practice, based on the East London/Essex border.
This is a summary of how lessons from a Human Givens counselling perspective will influence your therapy with me.
- Meeting essential needs is a prerequisite for emotional health – We will normally undertake a needs audit – how well are your needs being met now?
- Human beings are problem solving creatures – Achievable, concrete and relevant goal setting is an essential prerequisite for you to change.
- High emotional arousal makes us all stupid and learning takes place when calm – We will work to enhance emotional intelligence – to increase your awareness and to communicate understanding of the sources of stress. To learn tools and methods for stress alleviation and to work with you when you are relaxed.
- Often trauma or trauma like symptoms will be at the root of emotional distress – Human Givens practitioners are trained in the Rewind technique which quickly removes most traumatic experiences from the emotional brain.
- Imagination is the main engine for improved performance – Guided imagery and visualisation is a powerful aid to motivate and rehearse helpful change.
- Creativity is accessed in a relaxed state of flow – You can respond well to tailor made methods that allow access to your creative right brain so that it will work harmoniously with the logical and ordered left brain.
- The brain understands and communicates by patterns (metaphors) and seeks to complete these in the environment – Our conversations are built around metaphor/story identification and construction that will make sense on all levels.
- Our capacities and resources are always greater than we think – We will work at all times to identify and refocus or to restore and amplify your resources, which in most cases will be accessible from your past memories and experiences.
- For all of us, emotions precede and drive thoughts and actions – There are a range of methods that can be used and which have as their objective the creation of appropriate emotional tags to the events and circumstances that you are likely to be experiencing.
How well might you respond to working in this way?